Buddy Workout for Holidays At Home
By any name – workout buddy, gym buddy, accountability partner, etc. – exercising with a friend has many benefits. Working out together means you can hold each other accountable and monitor progress. Having two people allows you to do more exercises and stretches or spot for each other. Plus, exercising is more fun when you’re also spending time with a buddy.
Use this intro buddy workout routine for you and a friend who both want to get fit. Team up for some fun exercises that help both of you accomplish your goals.
Partner Squat with Dumbbell Pass
- Stand back-to-back with your buddy while one of you holds a dumbbell or kettlebell with both hands.
- Walk your feet out until both of your knees are bent at roughly 90 degrees.
- While in this half-squat, pass the dumbbell back and forth while alternating sides.
- Do 2 sets of 10-12 passes.
Reverse Lunge with Medicine Ball Pass
- Holding a medicine ball at chest height, stand facing your partner about three yards away facing with feet shoulder-width.
- Step back with one leg and lower yourself until your front thigh is parallel to the ground. Keep the upper body straight.
- Return to the standing position and throw the ball to your partner. They perform a reverse lunge as above, then throw the ball back to you.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Do 5-6 reps for each leg.
Full Plank with Dumbbell Slide
- Get in the full plank position with arms extended and a dumbbell behind your right hand.
- Have your partner do a full plank on your direct left.
- Grab the dumbbell with your left hand and slide it across the flower to your partner.
- Your buddy grabs the dumbbell with their left hand and slides it to the outside.
- They release the dumbbell, resume a full plank, then grab the dumbbell with their right hand and slide it back towards you.
- Grab the dumbbell with your right hand and slide it to the original position.
- Do 2 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Your partner lies on the ground facedown. Assume the same position next to them.
- Perform a burpee where you jump sideways over your partner instead of straight up in the air.
- Do 10-12 burpees total (5-6 in each direction), then switch places.
- For added difficulty, play “Burpee Leapfrog”, alternating burpees as you work across the room.
Sit-Up with Medicine Ball Pass
- Sit on the floor facing each other as you hold a medicine ball. Your knees should be bent and your feet flat on the ground touching each other’s.
- Hold the ball to your chest and do a sit-up.
- Hand the ball to your partner and have them do a sit-up.
- Do 2 sets of 12-15 reps each.
- Get into a full plank position while your partner stands behind you.
- Have the partner grab your shins and hold them around their mid-thigh.
- Walk on your hands the length of the room and back.
- Switch positions and repeat.
- Do 2-4 sets to start.